Since Nightmare on Query Street (hosted by @Michelle4Laughs) is right around the corner, I thought I'd post about queries.
3 Parts to a Query:
1. Intro: Details of your book and a connection (personalized statement) to the agent/publisher.
2. Pitch: 3-10 sentences.
7 Parts to a Pitch:
1. Introduce the main character: Don't go crazy on mentioning your other characters. This can get complicated and confusing to a reader. Yes, you may know them and understand them. But think about going to a party and you meet 10 people all at once. It's the same concept.
2. Tell us who they are and what they want: what makes them special or unique? Most characters should have a flaw so what sets apart this character from everyone else?
3. Inciting incident: Do not tell this in the form of a question. Usually the answer is always what you think. What's the trigger event or turning point?
4. Plot of the novel: Do not tell the ending here. Save it for the synopsis.
5. Complications = Conflict.
6. Unclear wrap-up
7. Stakes: Tell us what will happen to the MC if they don't get or do something.